Monday, April 23, 2007

Naming Animals


So, for Easter my mom included little miniature stuffed animals in Joel and I's baskets. They looked really cute nestled between a giant chocolate bunny and a cornucopia of colorful jellybeans: Joel's little puppy and my little piggie, both with bunny ears. Joel insists they have identity issues, but I just think they're being festive. Isn't that kind of the crux of our relationship? Joel's more realistic and I'm more optimistic and clearly these tiny one dollar animals represent that in a deep, metaphorical sense. Anyway it turns out we ran into some serious issues when trying to name the little buggers. At first I wanted to have pairs names, since they clearly belong together, but Joel wasn't providing any useful suggestions. Here's what I got out of him: Pink and Stink, Hall and Oates, Boob and Lube, Dog and Pig.

Finally we decided we'd be better off divorcing our naming responsibilities and he named the dog, I the pig. He settled on Fart and then Boof, and even though he's technically changed his mind two dozen or so times since Boof I've made him stick with it. I chose Juan Ponce de Leon because I thought it was ironic and funny, but Joel wasn't amused and insists on calling him Juan Ponchomalon. We literally translated Juan's name into John Wants DeLeon's (don't we all right around 1 a.m.?)

Anyway, I thought I'd share the first family photos we have of Boof and Juan (Joel occassionally calls him Bacos). At first the photo session was peaceful, but then Punch our miniature gorilla (which was also a gift from my mother) rudely interrupted.

No comments: